Welcome to JoelHodgson.com. I am most famous for creating Mystery Science Theater 3000. If you’re interested in the history of MST3K, Wired magazine recently published an “definitive oral history” of the show as told by the cast and crew. You can also check here.
Full disclosure, I am also the inventor of the “Ventriloquist Mask” – which may be turning out to be the most popular ventriloquist novelty of the last 100 years. It is currently used by thousands of vents worldwide, including superstars like Terry Fator, Ron Lucas and Nina Conti! Now it can be told!
Also, I just concluded 6 years of live touring with the original cast from MST3K in the form of Cinematic Titanic. It was a great run and so much fun to get back to movie riffing. We performed with 14 different films for over a hundred live shows! My sincere thanks to all the friends and fans that showed up and made the scene.
My charity of choice is twentywonder.org which is an event created by my brother Jim, and which benefits people born with Downs Syndrome in greater Los Angeles. Billed as “A Carnival of the Mind” it’s the largest fundraiser of its kind, and for a shimmering night in Los Angeles every summer it’s the creative center of the universe – please support it if you can.
In February I gave a talk at the “World Innovation Summit” in Silicon Valley with my friend and ideation guru Mark Levi titled “Romance and Engineering: How magicians bring their visions to life” so now that’s a thing.
I also, last year, I gave a course in movie riffing and a nice primer on my class and survey of the state of movie riffing is here in the New York Times.
I appear with my old buddy Jerry Seinfeld in an episode of “Comedians in Cars getting Coffee.”I feel it’s a pretty good portrait of what it’s really like when we get together, except, I usually don’t drink coffee.
I also appeared in a cameo in the latest season of Arrested Development! And yes, that’s really my voice recorded recently in Philadelphia and then transposed onto an old silhouette of me and the bots culled from an early MST3K. Then later, those elements were then matted onto a brand new Arrested Development. – Meta !
I am currently voicing the character of “Mayor Bill Dewey” in Rebecca Sugar’s beautiful new cartoon on Cartoon Network “Steven Universe”. Check the Cartoon Network website to find out more.
I am also the “creative lead for media” for an aerospace company, called Cannae.com – I kid you not.
Recently, the Cannae Drive has been in the news a bunch as NASA has just published acknowledgement that the engine created thrust in the laboratory! A couple of the many articles are here; Techtimes.com & Wired.com.
Also, too, I started touring with my first “one man show” titled “Riffing Myself” which is basically the creation story of MST3K –check below for appearances, I may be coming to a town near you!
- August 22 -24 Wizards world Chicago – meet and greet, http://www.wizardworld.com/chicago.html
- August 29 -31 Dragon Con Atlanta – “Riffing Myself” and Meet and greet,
- August 22,23,24 Wizard World Chicago – Joel signs autographs, does Q and A and performs “Riffing Myself”
- August 29 to Sept 1 DragonCon Atlanta – Joel signs autographs, does Q and A and performs “Riffing Myself”
- September 27 RetroCon at The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center – Joel signs autographs, and does Q and A
- October 18th, Tide Water Comicon, Virginia Beach, Virginia – Joel signs autographs, does Q and A and performs “Riffing Myself”
- October 24, 25, 26 Chiller Theater Expo Parsippany, N.J. – Joel signs autographs, does Q and A and performs “Riffing Myself”
To book me, contact Heroes for Hire.